Saturday, April 18, 2009

its POTTY Time!!

Ok I should probably preface this with the fact that unless you are a grandparent/aunt/uncle of Austin's OR parent of a young child...this post will probably be quite boring and possibly even disturbing...so feel free to stop reading! For the rest of you....all I have to say is whoo-hoo!!

Many months ago I wrote about how Ausitn had peepee'd in the potty. I totally chalked it up to a fluke and just thought i would continue to show him the potty, leave him diaper-less a little while each night and see what happens. I have heard all the awful things about potty training--and especially had it drilled into my head that boys take forever to "learn", so really had decided that I am in no hurry! ( the kid still nurses for goodness sakes, so potty learning feels very far off!)

But in all honesty, I should admit that a part of me kept day dreaming about the fact that maybe, JUST MAYBE, potty learning might be our one EASY card. Whats an easy card, you ask? Well....shall I remind all of you of the past 23 months of our lives starting with the birth of this child. None of its been easy. I realize that having a child is never EASY, but we have had more than our share of difficulties. Soo, I secretly have pondered that maybe the whole potty thing might be our one "a little easier" thing! ( Amanda....are you with me on this one??)


Ok----sooo fast forward to this past Tuesday night. Austin takes his bath and then we leave him diaper-less for a bit. He runs to his potty---calls me in there (Mum! Mum!) and we read some books. (something I heard is good to do during potty time! Who knew! ) All of a sudden I hear him grunting and saying "whoa"....and sure enough his is peeing and pooping! Of course I go crazy, yelling at Shea to get the camera! This is what we captured!




So after he finally finished--we got all excited and he got his treat...5 chocolate chips! You would have thought the kid was getting a full candy bar...he ate those chips like he was afraid he may never get them again!




Sooo...since Tuesday, he has pee'd or pee'd/pooped in the potty about 6 times ! And 4 of those have been in the last 24 hours! YIPPEE! Problem is...I have NO idea what I am doing when it comes to potty training...I have not read the books on that yet!!( so if any one is reading this who HAS done it....I would love some suggestions on what to do next!) For now...I am just going to stay relaxed about it, not push him and try to pay attention to his "signals." (Yes all you EC'ing friends...I know this is what I should have ALREADY been doing!) Pray for continued success...I am sure we will need it!

1 comment:

Mandi said...

How exciting!!!! Yaaaaay for "things to celebrate"! (And yes, I hear you loud and clear, Lesley) The pic of Austin sitting at his table is awesome - he looks so serious about his chips! :-)