Tuesday, March 3, 2009

First real blog...about sickness!!

Ok seriously---we have never been so plagued by sickness as we have been in the last 2.5 months. Its INSANE!!! I realize that a big part of this is the fact that Austin is now in MDO--so he is around kids all the time--kids whose parents send them even if they are sick.

Before all this--I really thought Austin's immune system was really strong. Up until this--Austin had only had one ear infection, maybe two- three colds, one episode of vomiting and thats about it. But starting the week before Christmas---we have dealt with stomach bugs, vomiting, bronchitis, runny nose, fever, and DREADFUL antibiotics. Things got so bad last week, that we finally gave Austin a shot of antibiotics...and you know it had to be bad for me not only to give him antibiotics but to give him a shot...poor kid had never had a shot in his life! So by Sunday, he started showing significant improvement and I thought we were finally in the clear. And then the fever started yesterday. I really believed it was teeth coming in--his last two teeth are coming in ( thank goodness!), he cant keep his hands out of his mouth and he was acting like he was hurting...so I did truly believe it was teething. Sent him to MDO today ( he had not been in over a week) but when I picked him up, he was lethargic, very fragile and breathing really heavy. His temp was up to 102/103. I did finally give him Motrin and he improved instantly...and now is finally asleep. But I am not hopeful that it will be a quiet night...last night Shea got to sleep part of the night and I got to sleep the other part.
I have no idea what we are dealing with this time...but I had to cancel going to a new bible study tomorrow since he is sick again.

I really thought that after 21 months of breastfeeding, Austins immune system should be made of steel! I mean seriously, the immune properties are what I am counting on as part of the reward for breastfeeding this long--where are my immune system rewards??

Along those same lines--I have really been trying to wean Austin as much as possible over the past few weeks--we may not wean completely, but I was trying to get him down to about 3-4 nursing's a day. Unfortunately, sickness has totally interrupted that--because when he is dreadfully sick, the one medication I KNOW I can give him that's totally safe, totally free and the one medication he wont fight--is breast milk. So I have had to pull back on my strong desire to be "done" and let us carry on a little longer. I do often wonder how I will feel physically once I am done nursing completely--I mean I have been growing a baby either through pregnancy or through nursing for over 2 1/2 years!!


Ok...I have talked enough and I now to get geared up a long night. I am off to bed....

4 comments:

marie said...

love THE NEW BACKGROUND AS WELL! :)

Whittney said...

I'm with you...totally DONE with sickness. And nursing is lame right now too. Can I please just have a night of sleep without a cute little fish mouth trying to find my nipple!!! Arrggg.

Anonymous said...

It's times like these I really hate being so far away. Would so like to give you guys a break.
I also want to hear it all ( The Good, The Bad and the Ugly!), so keep on being REAL.
Nana Phillips

Mandi said...

Ugh. Even though I have been a recluse this winter, Noa has not been in day care at all, and I leave behind a snail trail of antibacterial slime wherever we go, none of us have escaped sickness this season. BF'ing leaves our babes big and strong, but obviously not germ-proof.
I'm sorry that your fam has been hit hard this year. Soon the Springtime will usher in the warmth and bacteria and viruses everywhere will begin dying slow and painful deaths. ;-) I cannot wait to celebrate with you!